How to relieve tired eyes
Whether you’re sitting in front of a computer screen at work, binge-watching a whole season on Netflix, or scrolling through your Instagram feed whenever you get the chance, your eyes work hard. Just like you need to charge your phone at the end of each day, your eyes also need time to recharge to prevent you from looking exhausted and feeling drained.
Thankfully, tired eyes (or eyestrain) is not an eye disease and there are many healthy habits you can adopt to give your eyes a new lease of life.
What are the symptoms of tired eyes?
Aside from feeling sleepy, here are some common signs to look out for:
- Heavy eyelids
- Watery or dry eyes
- Puffiness or dark circles around the eye
If you are also suffering from any of the below, we recommend taking a trip to see your Optician:
- Blurred vision
- Light sensitivity
- Struggling to focus
- Frequent headaches
- A feeling of eye soreness or irritation
What are the causes?
Tired eyes can be caused by multiple factors. We’ve listed some of the most typical:
- Blue light from digital devices
- Taking long drives without a break
- Reading or writing for prolonged periods
- Working in low or very bright lighting conditions
How can it be relieved?
Whilst our body may feel energised, our eyes can feel like they’re struggling to keep up. Here are some things you can try to relieve the feeling of fatigue:
- Reduce your caffeine intake, particularly before bedtime.
- Speak to your Optician about adding a blue light filter to your glasses.
- Remember that your prescription can change over time. Make sure that your glasses or contact lens prescriptions are up-to-date.
- Without stating the obvious, getting more sleep is an important step towards keeping your eyes feeling refreshed.
- Follow the 20-20-20 rule by taking a break every 20 minutes from your screen and looking at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
- Check if your digital device has the option to adjust the colours to a warmer tone so that it’s easier on your eyes, for example ‘Night Shift’ on Apple devices.
- Check that the lighting conditions at work or at home are at an optimal level so your eyes aren’t straining too hard. For example, having an evenly-lit lounge whilst watching the TV.
Although it’s important to follow the above steps to improve symptoms in the long term, there is also a range of products to provide instant relief.
Blink Refreshing Eye Drops have been formulated to reduce irritation and tiredness to help keep your eyes bright and healthy. They work by giving a boost to your tears for a fresh, revitalised sensation.
If you struggle to apply eye drops, Blink Refreshing Eye Mist is a great alternative. This handy bottle is easy to carry around with you for relief whenever you need it. If you’re a contact lens wearer, there’s no need to remove them first.
Managing tired eyes doesn’t have to be difficult. With a few small adjustments to your lifestyle, you’ll start to feel the benefits of eyes that are refreshed, alert and awake. Take your first step today and bid farewell to the days of tired eyes.