How to put in and take out contact lenses
Putting in and taking out your contact lenses can be daunting for first-time wearers. Most people struggle with it at first, but it’ll soon become second-nature.
To help, we’ve put together a step-by-step guide on how to put in and remove your contact lenses safely and easily. Phew!
How to put in your contact lenses
- Find a clean and well-lit area with a mirror.
- Wash and dry your hands thoroughly before touching your eyes or handling your contact lenses. We’d suggest using antibacterial soap and lint-free towels.
- Check your contact lens is the correct way around (very important!). Place the lens on your index finger and look at the edges. If the edges of the lens are curved outward with a lip at the top, it is the wrong way around. Simply flip the edges the other way.
- Use the hand with the contact lens already on to pull your lower eyelid down.
- Carefully pin back your upper lid using all four fingers of your free hand and make sure all eyelashes are out of the way.
- Watching the mirror, slowly and gently move your index finger towards the centre of your eye. Without blinking (this is the hard part), place the contact lens directly onto the centre of the eyeball or onto the white of the eye just below - whatever feels best for you.
- Before releasing your eyelids, slowly move your eyes around and look in different directions to centre the contact lens.
- Slowly release both eyelids and blink a few times to allow the lens to settle in place.
- Once your vision has focused and you feel comfortable, repeat the steps for your other eye. Et voila!
Photo by salvatore ventura on Unsplash
How to take out your contact lenses
- Wash and dry your hands thoroughly before touching your eyes or handling your contact lenses.
- Gently pull your lower lid down with your middle finger, creating room for your index finger and thumb.
- Carefully pin back your upper lid and lashes with your free hand, making sure all eyelashes are out of the way.
- Use your index finger and thumb to gently slide the contact lens on to the white of the eye just below where your contact lens normally sits. Very gently, squeeze each side of the lens between your index finger and thumb to lift the lens away.
- Slowly release both lids and repeat for the other eye.
We hope you found our step-by-step guide helpful! If you’re still battling with your lenses, get in touch with your optician for further advice.